Rowan Companies plc is a global provider of international and domestic contract drilling services in the ultra-deepwater and shallow water jack-up market with a fleet of 34 offshore drilling units, including four ultra-deepwater drillships, two of which are currently under construction, and 30 jack-up rigs, 19 of which are rated high-specification. The Company’s fleet is located worldwide, including West Africa, the Middle East, the North Sea, Trinidad, Egypt, Southeast Asia and the Gulf of Mexico.
Job title: Crane Operator
Job ID: 2419215857
Location: Middle East
Summary of Position :
The Crane Operator oversees the efficient and effective operation of the deck ensuring competent lifting operations take place. He/she also supervises the deck crew and ensures support of effective drill floor operation. The Crane Operator will also direct helicopter operations as Helicopter Landing Officer (HLO).
Duties and Responsibilities (shall include but not be limited to) :
• Perform emergency duties as per Station Bill and Emergency Procedures manual.
• Effectively participate in the Stop Observe Act Report (SOAR) program and encourage active participation.
• Comply with and effectively contribute to the continuous improvement of Rowan’s Management System (RMS), Health, Safety and Environmental (HSE) related policies and procedures, and relevant authority regulatory requirements.
• Assist or direct the review and/or approval of any HSE related or other relevant documentation impacting their area of responsibility.
• Responsible and accountable for HSE protection within their area of responsibility, including communication and implementation of such policies and procedures; demonstrate management’s commitment to health, safety and environmental protection.
• Ensure lifting equipment is checked before use and fit for purpose, and that current color code I.D. and SWL is clearly marked; follow lifting equipment quarantine procedures.
• Carry out daily, weekly and monthly crane checks and maintenance as per planned maintenance system and manufacturer’s recommendations; report any defects immediately.
• Report any damage or incidents that occur to the crane or structure during lifting operations immediately to the Barge Engineer.
• Ensure all lifting and rigging operations, supply boat and deck lifts are controlled and carried out safely.
• Ensure lift plans, risk assessments and procedures are in place prior to lifts, and that crane operations are carried out within the operational parameters.
• Plan work for deck crew before work commences, and include relevant personnel in the planning process.
• Ensure lift plans are completed where required.
• Ensure effective execution of mechanical lifting operations.
• Ensure cranes and associated lifting equipment are used in accordance with manufacturers’ specifications and company procedures.
• Perform all work according to agreed expectations of both internal and external customers, focus on doing things right the first time, every time, and contribute actively to continual improvement activities.
• Comply with company’s Code of Conduct.
• Monitor and maintain rigging loft.
• Maintain an inventory of all lifting equipment and tools.
• Service crane, associated components and lifting equipment in accordance with plans, procedures and maintenance schedules.
• Organize deck for safe, efficient and effective operations.
• Serve as HLO if so assigned.
• Show active participation in Hazard Management and Stop Work activities.
• Effectively contribute to Management of Change and Non-Conformance Management through compliance with Change and Non-Conformance Procedures.
• Actively participate in all safety meetings and contribute with relevant points.
• Prepare handover reports for supervisor and relief, and advise the latter verbally of current, past, and impending operations.
• Assist with audits and follow up on outstanding audit points to bring them to completion.
• Review Rowan documentation with crew members as required.
• Participate in document revisions as required.
• Second deck crew members to other departments as required.
• Demonstrate leadership through personal responsibility and accountability.
• Assist in the management of the mentoring process in accordance with the Rowan Mentoring Program.
• Participate in Competence program.
• Supervise and manage in accordance with supervisory roles and responsibilities.
• Implement frontline discipline in consultation with next level supervisor.
• Participate in a leading role in relevant incident investigations.
• Conduct a formal and informal performance appraisal, which includes measuring performance.
• Ensure direct reports’ roles and responsibilities are clearly discussed.
• Liaise with supply vessel staff.
• Liaise with regulatory agencies as required.
Essential Qualifications :
• BOSIET / FOET
• Offshore Crane Operator Stage 3
• LOLER Competent Person
• IATA Dangerous Goods by Air
• Fire Team Member
• Helideck Assistant
• Helideck Team Member
• HLO Helideck Response Team Leader
• HLO – OPITO
• CAA Licence (with VHF)
Other Qualifications / Skills & Experience / Reporting :
Per the local qualifications, skills and reporting matrix
To apply for this job, CLICK HERE TO APPLY NOW