Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemicals companies. It consists of the businesses of Upstream Americas, Upstream International, Downstream, and Projects & Technology. With approximately 87,000 employees in more than 70 countries and territories, Shell is helping to meet the world’s growing demand for energy in economically, environmentally and socially responsible ways.
Job title: Senior Legal Counsel
Job ID: 10380BR
Location: New Orleans or Houston – USA
Shell Legal Services provide legal advice, support and related services to Shell businesses, in a challenging global business environment. By identifying legal risks and considering alternative structures and strategies to accurately reflect commercial decisions, Legal Services further our business objectives and protect shareholder interests.
- Perform as lead and senior legal counsel supporting all aspects of Shell’s Upstream Americas offshore Exploration and Deepwater businesses, with a primary focus on activities in the Gulf of Mexico.
- Become a valued legal team member for a highly profitable and growing energy business in the Americas, part of a global organization with one of the most recognized brands in the world.
- Work for a financially sound company with over 100 years of solid business performance.
- Work directly with business clients on a day-to-day basis.
- Work with highly experienced and collegial legal professionals from around the world, as well as professionals from other supporting functions such as external affairs, government relations, regulatory, compliance, human resources, finance.
- Become exposed to opportunities to advance into management of other lawyers or lead multi-disciplinary teams.
- Maintain a reasonable work/life balance, while enjoying a competitive salary and benefits package.
- Access to training opportunities in both legal/compliance, and other business skill areas such as negotiation, drafting, oil & gas law, incident response and crisis management, and business regulatory compliance.
Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer.
JD is required.
Minimum ten (10) years of sophisticated commercial or transactional legal experience, including experience with offshore oil and gas projects and/or regulatory frameworks required.
Strong commercial, transactional and client advisory skills in, or which can be readily applied to, the offshore Upstream and Midstream oil and gas industry required.
Candidate should have competitive credentials and related experience from corporate in-house, governmental, and/or leading law firm practice required.
Member in good standing of LA or TX bar (or ability to acquire that status within 12 months) required.
Confidence to make decisions in ambiguous circumstances and to work in an uncertain regulatory and legal environment without significant management oversight.
Ability to prioritize time spent on particular matters by value and risk.
Ability to define difficult positions and achieve balance with commercial considerations.
Ability to think strategically and to appreciate both the immediate and longer term impacts on the business of different legal courses of action.
Willingness and ability to undertake or assist in new areas of practice.
Global mindset and ability to work virtually with lawyers in other regions.
To apply for this position, CLICK HERE TO APPLY NOW