A renowned leader in the engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) industry, Fluor Corporation delivers some of the industry’s most complex projects. With our cutting-edge technology, outstanding safety record and history of success, it is no wonder that Fluor is ranked #1 on Fortune magazine’s “Engineering, Construction” industry list of America’s largest corporations. Fluor is also ranked #1 in the same category on Fortune’s annual survey of World’s Most Admired Companies.
Fluor provides contingency operations and rapid response capabilities to the U.S. Military in remote locations around the world. Fluor stands ready to support our military service members with logistics, base camp construction, housing, transportation, fuel, meals, laundry, recreation, and other support services.
Fluor provides worldwide contingency operations and logistics support to the U.S. Department of Defense through their designated military Agencies. Fluor is actively engaged in Afghanistan and Africa through the U.S. Army LOGCAP IV. Fluor provides EPC and program management services in these difficult and often remote operating environments.
Fluor is seeking a Mechanical Design Engineer to meet our demands in Bagram, Afghanistan.
Mechanical Design Engineer
Responsibilities for this position will include:
- Candidate shall be tasked to design, develop drawings, tabulate material take offs, assist in procuring materials and equipment, providing technical assistance and supporting subcontracting with bid packages and construction oversight with installation of mechanical systems. Support and interact with a multi-discipline team of Engineers in developing detail design plan-sets for undertaking miscellaneous Department of Defense projects.
- Systems presently under design, construction, operation or maintenance which candidate may be tasked to design, modify or assist installers with technical understanding:
• Forced air heating and cooling, constant and variable air volume systems;
• Testing Adjusting and Balancing experience;
• Chillers (liquid and air) boilers, water softeners, refrigerant systems, DX (packaged and split); sizing, piping, installation;
• Building Automation and Control Systems (cursory understanding) such as Johnson Controls, Siemens, GE Fanuc.
- Supervises or coordinates the work of draftsmen, technicians, and other personnel who provide assistance on specific assignments. Provides clarification and interpretation of project design documents, contract / client specifications and construction plans. Supports material and contract management activities. Supports construction activities and assists craftsmen and foreman with regard to construction-related issues identified on drawings. Assists project controls in assembly of work packages and provisions of engineering documents. Recommends solutions to field construction issues.
- Coordinates special field requests for engineering and / or vendor documents from contractors or other resources as needed. Provides input to as-built drawing efforts. Evaluates and verifies vendor data and drawings from other disciplines. Supports the quality team in technical assessment of quality issues and non-conformities of construction. Receives and distributes project design documents to staff. Adheres to project safety requirements and encourages safe work activity.
Position may be located in a war zone in a contingency environment with harsh and dangerous working and living conditions, including lifting and carrying 40 pounds of personal protective equipment for extended periods of time. To ensure safety, health, and security measures within the contract are met, all employees shall be literate in English (read, write, speak and understand).
Living conditions on the project are most likely austere. The most austere sleeping may be in environmentally conditioned tents on “Army type” cots. Restrooms and showers may be 250 feet or further from sleeping quarters. Laundry service for 15 pounds twice per week is commonly provided. Meals are provided at regular intervals in cafeteria or “dining facility” style environment. Living area will most likely have constant hum of generators or similar equipment nearby.