Chevron is one of the world’s leading energy companies, with approximately 60,000 employees working in countries around the world. We explore, produce and transport crude oil and natural gas; refine, market and distribute fuels and other energy products; manufacture and sell petrochemical products; generate power; and develop future energy resources, including biofuels and geothermal energy.
Job title: Operator Mechanic
Job ID: 319441362
Location: Bakersfield, California, USA
Chevron is accepting online applications for the position of Operator Mechanic located in Bakersfield, CA at the Kern River Cogen through June 10, 2015 at 11:59 p.m. (Eastern Standard Time).
The position is responsible for operating and maintaining a power plant or cogeneration plant for Chevron Power and Energy Management business in Bakersfield location, providing steam to enhanced oil recovery, and power to the local grid.
The position will report directly to the Plant Supervisor. The work requires a flexibility to work in rotating shifts.
Responsibilities for this position may include but are not limited to:
- Follow safety procedures, observe safe working practices and maintain a safe work environment.
- Start-up, operate and shutdown mechanical, and electrical equipment to meet permit, contract and business plan requirements.
- Manually operate valves, pumps, dampers, and other equipment as necessary. Perform switching of electrical equipment up to 230 kV.
- Perform operations to place electrical circuits and generating equipment in and out of service.
- Monitor equipment for safe, efficient and compliant operation. Diagnose equipment problems and identify abnormal conditions.
- Respond calmly to emergency situations and take corrective action to operate equipment within safe limits and good industry practice.
- Make proper shift relief to ensure that plant status is communicated between oncoming and off going personnel.
- Direct the activities of the Operator Mechanic 2(s) in the day to day operation and maintenance of the plant.
- Coordinate plant operations with steam and/or electricity customer, independent system operator or scheduler.
- Perform safety related duties such as issuing lockout tag out, hot work permit, confined space entry permit, PPE assessment, job task analysis, etc. as required to maintain a safe work environment.
- Respond to accidents, fires and other emergencies in accordance with established procedures.
- Read, write, understand and maintain equipment logs, procedures, timesheets, expense reports work orders, requisitions and other documentation as required. Maintain drawings, specifications, test logs and other records.
- Read, understand and respond to written instructions and logbook notations.
- Check e-mail, public folders, acknowledgements of information and other electronic or computer generated documents.
- Research equipment manuals and requisition repair parts. Perform mechanical and electrical repairs on equipment. Maintain tool inventories and supplies to perform such tasks.
- Participate in daily preventive, planned and breakdown maintenance activities in a safe, effective and timely manner.
- Perform general electrical troubleshooting such as locating and correcting electrical grounds.
- Collect data, perform diagnostic tests, perform new equipment installations, and plant improvements.
- Provide recommendations to maintain and improve equipment performance.
- Handle, store and dispense hazardous substances.
- Monitor hazardous material accumulation sites, label containers, observe hazardous waste storage areas for unusual occurrences and maintain areas in a clean and orderly fashion.
- Tutor, train, instruct, and assist other personnel as required. Maintain own knowledge and skill levels.
- Maintain a positive company image and constructive relationships with all internal and external customers.
- Perform housekeeping functions.
- Direct and monitor contractor activities.
- Operate vehicles including trucks, forklifts and other mobile equipment.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as directed.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Possesses a valid driver’s license.
- Minimum of three years experience in the operation and maintenance of a power generating facility or equivalent industry.
- Thorough knowledge of electrical, hydraulic, pneumatic and mechanical equipment and systems.
- Thorough knowledge of power plant terminology, nomenclature, equipment, construction, capacities, limitations, theories of operation and operating and maintenance procedures and practices.
- Thorough knowledge of proper and safe working practices including methods to implement lock out/tag out of equipment and confined space entry.
- General knowledge of the principles of power plant water chemistry.
- Skilled in the use of hand tools, power tools, computers and mobile equipment such as forklifts and man lifts.
- Ability to effectively communicate clearly in writing and verbally and to understand and follow verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to interface with others and effectively function as a member and/or leader of a team.
- Ability to give direction to other employees.
- Ability to read and understand technical information, prints and engineering data, interpret charts, graphs, and gauge scales.
- Travel for training and/or other company business. This includes travel by automobile and commercial airlines.
To apply for this position, CLICK HERE TO APPLY NOW