SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 85,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 1,800 offices and laboratories around the world. We are constantly looking beyond customers’ and society’s expectations in order to deliver market leading services wherever they are needed. As the leader in providing specialized business solutions that improve quality, safety and productivity and reduce risk, we help customers navigate an increasingly regulated world.
Job title: Field Technician
Location: Oregon, Portland – United States
The position is responsible for collecting samples of products or raw materials for laboratory analysis by performing the following duties.
• Manually sample bulk potash from moving conveyor belts and observe product flow
• Ensures sample bags are labeled with identifying data, location of sample, date, and time of collection
• Preparation of samples, reduction and division of appropriate grades
• Inspect railcars for possible contamination
• Inspect conveyor systems for cleanliness
• Observe product flow into cargo holds on ocean-going ships berthed at export terminal
• Issue certificates, collect samples, collect field data, inspect railcars.
Overtime and some weekends and holidays are required.
• Must have, or be eligible to apply for, TWIC
• High school diploma or general education degree (GED) preferred
• Aptitude for basic math concepts and report preparation
• Position requires incumbent to have a flexible schedule as overtime or weekend work will be required
• Must have the ability to lift 50 lbs
• Must have a valid driver’s license
• Must be able to pass a drug screen and background check prior to employment
• Ability to effectively communicate (written and oral) presenting information individually or in small group situations to internal or external customers.
• Ability to execute detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions.
• Ability to work independently.
• Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
• Ability to follow directions ensuring the end results are accurate and completed with the required timeframe.
• Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
• Computer literacy required. Preferred Microsoft office experience.
• To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodations. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
• This job description should not be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements, but a general description of the job. Nothing contained herein restricts the company’s rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
• SGS is an EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability employer.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, protected veteran status or disability.
If you are applying for a position within the United States and you have difficulty completing the on-line employment application because of a disability, please call 201-508-3149 for assistance and leave a message. You will be called back shortly. Please note, this phone number is not for general employment information, but is only for individuals who are experiencing difficulty applying for a position due to a disability.