Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa. The Bank is seeking to build a management team that will lead the successful implementation of this vision.
- Position title: Director, Human Capital, Youth and Skills Development
- Grade: EL5
- Position N°: 50092151
- Reference: ADB/17/010
- Publication date: 16/02/2017
- Closing date: 09/03/2017
- Country: Côte d’Ivoire
The Vice Presidency for ‘Agriculture, Human, and Social Development’ is a Sector Complex focusing on the Bank’s Ten Year Strategy High 5s priority of “Feed Africa” and “Improve Quality of Life for the People of Africa”. The complex objectives are (i) to develop, policy and strategy; (ii) provide deep sector expertise to the Regions by gathering pool of experienced individuals who can be consulted to provide sector expertise on complex transactions; (iii) develop new financing instruments; (iv) the Vice-President will act as the spokeperson to represent the Bank with external stakeholders on aspects of “Feed Africa” and Improve Quality of Life for the People of Africa”.
THE HIRING DEPARTMENT:
The Human Capital, Youth and Skills Development Department, within the Agriculture, Human and Social Development Vice Presidency will spearhead the achievement of the High 5 on “Improving the Quality of Life for People in Africa” and contribute to the other High 5s. The Department has two divisions: (i) Education, Human Capital and Employment Division; and (ii) Public Health, Security and Nutrition Division focussing on strengthening health systems and nutrition for human wellbeing. It also hosts various pertinent initiatives and trust funds. The Department leads the Bank’s support to Africa’s economic transformation by (i) developing and promoting the adoption of relevant policies and strategies; (ii) providing deep multi-sector expertise to the regional hubs by gathering pool of experienced individuals who can be consulted to provide technical advice on complex transactions (Communities of Practice); (iii) developing new financing instruments; and (iv) fostering strategic partnerships to leverage resources into the human and social development sectors.
The Director of the Human Capital, Youth and Skills Development Department reports to the Vice President for Agriculture, Human, and Social Development. He/She is responsible for providing leadership and supervising the staff and activities of the two Divisions as well as the special initiatives and trust funds hosted in the Department. The main work objectives are:
- Lead the Bank’s policy and strategic work on human and social development to ensure operations which are identified, developed and executed by regional hubs effectively implement the Bank’s relevant sector policies and strategies.
- Lead the execution of the Bank’s Jobs for Africa’s Youth strategy to build skills and entrepreneurship and implement innovative financing systems to deliver on massive job creation for youths across regional member countries.
- Forge strong strategic partnerships with multilateral and bilateral organizations and regional organizations to leverage resources and support the growth of the Bank’s portfolio in the human and social development sectors, and to support the Vice President’s role as the Bank’s spokesperson to external audiences.
- Support the development and implementation of innovative financing mechanisms, as well as technical and management approaches to promote access to social services across regional member countries, including through public-private partnerships and improvement of the overall governance of these sectors.
- Strengthen Africa’s scientific research and innovation capacity.
- Coordinate the development and implementation of action plans to reduce malnutrition and stunting across regional member countries and building political support and strategic partnerships for the implementation of the African Leaders for Nutrition initiative.
The Director of the Human Capital, Youth and Skills Development Department, under the oversight of the Vice-President for Agriculture, Human, and Social Development Complex, manages staff of the Department and plans, organizes, supervises and directs the work to ensure efficient and effective Bank Group assistance. Specifically, the Director:
- Leads, supervises and carries out the strategic direction of the two Divisions as well as the initiatives hosted within the Department; evaluates their performance; and promotes and organizes team work among them to achieve the objectives of the Department.
- Determines and manages the human and financial resource requirements of the Department; participates in the selection of staff, allocates and provides management support to the staff and facilitates their full performance in technical work; determines the staff’s training and career development needs; approves their annual performance evaluation; and resolves serious staff disputes/complaints.
- Oversees the programmatic/administrative tasks necessary for the functioning of the Department, including preparation of budgets, reporting on the Department’s performance, evaluation of staff performance; recruits staff, taking due account institutional values; and manages, guides, develops and trains staff under his/her supervision.
- Leads and coordinates the work programme of the Department, determining priorities, and allocating resources for the timely delivery of outputs; fosters teamwork and communication among staff in the Department and across organizational boundaries; implements the work programme of the Department; Oversees the management of activities undertaken; and ensures that the key performance indicators set for the Department are met.
- Participates in and/or chairs meetings for the Departmental Management Team, Inter-Departmental Working Groups, donor and partner meetings related to the initiatives and trust funds under the Human Capital, Youth and Skills Development Department and other meetings related to the work of the Department.
- Provides expertise and leadership in the development and review of Bank Group’s policies, rules, regulations, norms and standards especially related to human and social development; and ensures their implementation in the Department; promotes and ensures the professional quality of the documents produced by the staff of the Department.
- Provides advice to the Vice President and the President of the Bank on Jobs for Youth, human capital development and health matters and defends before the Board papers originating from the Department.
- Develops and maintains cooperation and co-financing relations with the other development agencies and organizations; Leads important and sensitive missions to the member countries and partner organizations and agencies; Represents the Bank Group in major international conferences and meetings especially on human and social development.
- Serves as Acting Vice President for the Agriculture, Human, and Social Development Complex when required.
- Performs other duties assigned by the Vice President.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- Hold at least a Master’s degree or its equivalent in Business Administration, Social Sciences, Development Economics, or closely related disciplines.
- Have a minimum of ten (10) years of relevant and progressive experience on human capital development, social development, research and policy, particularly related to employment creation, social protection, social development, public health, gender empowerment or related field in an internationally recognized financial or development institution or similar. At least five (5) years of professional experience should be at a managerial level.
- Recognized as a thought leader in Jobs for Youth and human capital development.
- Knowledge of operational policies, rules, procedures and practices of the Bank or comparable institution;
- Ability to analyze and evaluate critical matters pertaining to a broad spectrum of socioeconomic issues and provide policy advice.
- Experience in planning, organizing, directing and coordinating the activities of similar departments and supervising managers and department staff, organizing teams, and providing managerial support.
- Experience in delivering high quality operational products and services (economic analyses, research advice, sectoral studies and evaluation) in support of the Bank’s work.
- Experience in human capital development, employment and social protection, dealing with situations of fragility and fragile states, social development, or health sector development and policy support in Africa is a plus.
- Communicate and write effectively in French or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint); knowledge of SAP is highly desirable.
Information on the position:
The African development bank group has retained global career company ltd to assist with this appointment. to apply, please send a full cv together with a supporting statement highlighting your experience and skills against the requirements of the role, to:
email@example.com please quote the role title and assignment code 971327 in the subject heading of the email. telephone: +44 (0) 20 8834 0300 website: http://www.careersinafrica.com
This position is classified international status and attracts international terms and conditions of employment.
To apply online, CLICK HERE TO APPLY NOW